You will be surprised to know that the animated creatures we see are based on real life characters. So let’s take a look at the most beloved cartoon characters that are based on real life people.
1. Ariel from “The Little Mermaid” – Inspiration: Alyssa Milano
The character of Ariel from “The Little Mermaid” has been inspired from a beautiful child actress Alyssa Milano. She is a famous actress of the very hit show “Who’s the boss”. The bold red hair and the bubbly personality of Alyssa has been copied by Ariel of Disney.
2. The Vultures in “The Jungle Book” – Inspiration: The Beatles
Remember those hilarious vultures in Disney’s 1967 flick, “The Jungle Book”, who sing “That’s What Friends Are For” and speak with Liverpool-esque accents? They were based on a band of four singers, The Beatles.
3. Edna Mode from “The Incredibles” – Inspiration: Edith Head
One of the superhero character from “The Incredibles” was also based on a lifestyle legend Edith Head. She is basically a costume designer and had won eight academy award.
4. Belle from “Beauty and the Beast” – Inspiration: Sherri Stoner
Sherri Stoner was both, a writer and producer of Disney. In 90’s she became famous for her animated hits like Tiny Toon Adventure, Animaniacs which became an inspiration of designing Belle of Beauty And The Beast.
5. Aladdin from “Aladdin” – Inspiration: Tom Cruise
The expressive eyebrows and adorable smile of Aladdin has been taken from Tom Cruise. We all are aware about this famous star.
6. Pocahontas in “Pocahontas” – Inspiration: Irene Bedard
Irene Bedard is a Native American actress who not only provided an inspiration for the character of Pocahontas, a Disney film but also voiced it. The character and Irene resemble almost similar to each other.
7. Snow White in “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” – Inspiration: Marge Champion
One of the Disney’ iconic film, “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”, was cast on one of the famous actress and model in 30’s and 40’s Marge Champion.
8. Milhouse Van Houten in “The Simpsons” – Inspiration: Paul Pfeiffer
The character of Milhouse van in “The Wonder Years” was modeled after a famous child actor Paul Pfeiffer. We can of course see his goofy glasses and that shaky voice apart than the blue hair.
9. Ursula from “The Little Mermaid” – Inspiration: Divine
The character of sea evil Ursula was based on queen Divine (real name: Harris Glenn Milstead) who was famous in early 70’s films like “Mondo Trasho” and “Pink Flamingos”.
10. Betty Boop from “Betty Boop” – Inspiration: Helen Kane
The actress Helen Kane was cast for one of the earliest famous cartoon Betty Boop.
11. Eric Cartman in “South Park” – Inspiration: Archie Bunker
The character of Eric Cartman on South Park was inspired by a famous man Archie Bunker who did great series hits in 70’s.
12. Shrek in “Shrek” – Inspiration: Maurice Tillet
Ogre Shrek is based on the French boxer Maurice Tillet. Maurice was suffering from acromegaly which resulted in overgrown and thick bones. Shrek is inspired from him only.
13. Popeye in “Popeye the Sailor” – Inspiration: Frank “Rocky” Fiegel
Frank “Rocky” Fiegel was a tough guy from Popeye creator E.C. Segar’s hometown. He was known for taking several opponents at the same time.
14. Genie in “Aladdin” – Inspiration: Robin Williams
Genie in Aladdin was specifically written with Robin Williams in mind. Directors of Aladdin had told their animator to create Genie to look like Robin.
15. Captain Hook in “Peter Pan” – Inspiration: Hans Conried
Captain hook from Disney Peter Pan is undoubtedly one of the most memorable characters. Hans Conried was the voice behind Captain Hook and had also worked as the live action model for Captain Hook.