- The Indian Army was formed in 1776, under the government of East India Company in Kolkata.
2. India Covertly organised its nuclear arsenal in 1970’s and late 1990’s without the even CIA knowing what was happening.
3. There are no reservations based on caste and religion.
4. Operation Rahat in 2013 was one of the biggest civilian rescue operations ever carried out in the world.
It was carried out by the Indian Air Force to evacuate civilians affected by the floods in Uttarakhand in 2013. the IAF airlifted a total of about 20,000 people; flying a total of 2,140 sorties and dropping a total of 3,82,400 kg of relief material and equipment.
5. The Indian Army built the highest bridge in the world.
It is located in the Ladakh valley between Dras and Suru rivers in the Himalayan mountains. It was built by the Indian Army in August 1982.
6. The Indo Pakistan War of 1971 came to end with the surrender of about 93,000 combatants and officials of the Pakistani Army.
The war resulted in the creation of the independent state of Bangladesh.
7. India controls the highest battlefield in the world, the Siachen glacier, at 5000 metres above Mean Sea Level (MSL).
8. India has the biggest “voluntary” army in the world.
All serving and reserve personnel have actually “opted” for service. There is a provision for conscription (forced recruitment) in the constitution, but it has never been used.
9. In the Battle of Longewala, on which the famous Bollywood movie “Border” is based, there were only two casualties on the Indian side.
10. The Ezhimala Naval Academy in Kerala is the largest of its kind in Kerala.
11. Indian Army won 2 wars against China that you probably don’t know : The Nathu La Conflict in Sept, 1967 and The Cho La Conflict in Oct, 1967.
12. The Indian army has a horsed cavalry regiment. It is among one of the last 3 such regiments in the world.
13. The Indian Army is one of the biggest troop contributors to the United Nations peace making operations.
14. In terms of numbers, the Indian Army is third largest army in the world.
15. India never attacked nor invaded any country.